Wednesday, July 9, 2008

cm-chapter 6

Richards, J. (2001). Curriculum development in language teaching, Course planning and
syllabus design (pp. 145-197). New York: Cambridge University Press.

In this chapter, six dimensions of course development are examined. Those dimensions are: developing a course rationale, describing entry and exit levels, choosing course content, sequencing course content, planning the course content (syllabus and instructional blocks), and preparing the scope and sequence plan. Under the planning and course content two aspects, selecting a syllabus framework and developing instructional blocks, are given in detail.
I found it interesting to read about the different syllabus options, especially about the task-based syllabus, as I will be implementing that in my research this coming year. I was happy to find that tasks have very good positive comments in regards to language acquisition. I hope to learn more about task-based instruction as this summer unfolds. I know it will help me to think about activities such as information-gap tasks that may be useful for my students at the site I teach. Again I was intrigued by the amount of work put into curriculum planning and design.
Questions:
1. Are there key words, such as verbs ending in –ing, that can be used as “guides” in developing and contrasting aims and objectives?
Please explain what they mean when they talk about macrolevel and microlevel planning units, p. 164, under integrated syllabus.

No comments: