Sunday, November 16, 2008

cm's O'Malley ch 3

O’Malley/Vadez on Chapter 3: Portfolio Assessment

This chapter describes the use of portfolio assessments with English language learners. Basic features are described as well as student self-assessment and goal setting. Suggestions for getting started with portfolios are also given along with managing portfolios and using them in instruction. Whole language approach as an instructional content supports the use of portfolios. Both the teacher and student are involved in the input of learning and activities. As far as portfolio assessment, the learner has the main input and role in assessing his or her own progress. Instructional goals need to be defined before students make entries in their portfolios. In addition criteria for evaluation would have to be generated along with the students’ help before entries are made in the portfolio. Portfolios assess student growth as well as achievement.

I think having portfolio assessments for language learners is a positive tool. It has many benefits especially for the learner. Overall, the responsibility of learning and self-assessing becomes part of the language learner that it allows for high engagement. This reminds me of metacognition. I think this process, metacognition, is very important because it affirms your knowledge and helps build confidence in yourself as a language learner. The benefits of portfolio assessments are as real as water is useful for human beings. I think taking the time, finding the time, and being systematic would have to evolve and happen before these types of assessments become real. I would think that some students would have to see models of portfolio assessment before they make it a part of their own. I would think that for third graders we’d have to simplify parts of the portfolio so they don’t become overwhelmed. Things like using sad and happy faces, as part of the self-evaluation would have to do, as some students need more time and assistance. (At the same time, here I go again, in thinking about our Yup’ik values, I think self-assessment might be a hurdle to cross for some learners. In Yup’ik we are advised NOT to brag about ourselves. I remember how my older brother, once he learned to go out hunting on his own, was advised by my mother on being careful in talking about his catch to others. I guess we would have to talk about this, too, as we come across self-assessment and that it’s OK to talk about how well we did.)

1 comment:

languagemcr said...

Cathy,
I really like your point about self assessment from Yup'ik students. I think there needs to be a way for students to agree or disagree with statements that are descriptive rather than judged as positive or negative. I think this is an important challenge and I think it is worthy of adapting to better reflect the Yup'ik values.
Any ideas?
Marilee